6.22.2007

2007 Emmy Winners

June 15 this year was a night of disappointments, surprises, victory, and praise.

The 34th Annual Daytime Emmy Awards occurred at 9 pm right after the final show of The Price Is Right with Bob Barker as its host. Overall it was a wonderful ceremony that seemed to run very quickly. I guess time flies when there is win after win after win. And some of those wins were unexpected. Allow me to go through, one by one, the winners of the major daytime categories.

Younger Actor: Bryton McClure from Y&R. SAY WHAT?! I was completely stunned! How could the Emmy not go straight to Tom Pelphrey (GL)?! I thought it was his before I even saw everyone's submitted scenes. Having said that, Bryton's scenes left me amazed. He's good; he had a shot. But who knew that shot was great enough for him to earn his first Emmy? Too bad Pelphrey didn't win, but it's cool that Bryton did.

Younger Actress: Jennifer Landon from ATWT. No shock there. She won last year, and she's the best out of this year's nominees. She's superb, and it wouldn't surprise me if she wins next year. I'm not disappointed because, like I've said before, I was rooting for all five nominees. Too bad Leven Rambin (AMC) didn't win. She's been nominated a few times now; hopefully a win will happen soon.

Supporting Actor: Rick Hearst from GH. Hurray!!! I know I picked Trent Dawson (ATWT) in an earlier post, but I had changed my mind. Rick is phenomenal; he deserved a win. It was his first for his GH role, Ric Lansing. I think it was between him and Dan Gauthier (OLTL) because I viewed the scenes from this category. Both actors had a pretty good shot, but the win wasn't a tie. The best part of Rick's speech was him thanking his co-star Nancy Lee Grahn, who is the GH star that I love most.

Supporting Actress: Genie Francis - the famous Laura Spencer from GH. She was only back for a month, but it was long enough to gain an Emmy nomination. It's a shock that this is her first win, and I am extremely happy she won. She deserved it. I know I picked Gina Tognoni (GL), but on the inside it was always Genie. Despite having some physical pains that night, I jumped up and down without saying a word when she was proclaimed the winner.

Lead Actor: Christian LeBlanc from Y&R. SAY WHAT?! This category holds my true sadness and disappointment. My favorite actor, Ricky Paull Goldin from GL, was nominated and so should have won. He deserved an Emmy for his powerful portrayal of Gus during the detox of his addiction storyline. I thought he had a strong chance of winning, but I also thought Anthony Geary (GH) was going to win like he usually does. So, believing it was between Ricky and Anthony, I was completely stunned that Christian won. My mouth dropped, and I was speechless. But Christian and Ricky are close friends, so I'm sure Ricky's very happy for him.

Lead Actress: Maura West from ATWT. I was rooting for Crystal Chappell, but Maura is such a delight. She's a sweetheart even when her character is not. She's inspiring. She has portrayed Carly Tenney for many years, and this is her first win. She deserves it. I was so happy that I cried. And her win was a surprise. I thought Kim Zimmer (GL) would win because the majority of her storyline the past year was Reva's breast cancer. Wonderful material for an amazing actress.

Directing: As The World Turns. I'm pleased with that, but I so wanted Guiding Light to win. I thought General Hospital would win because it has won in previous years. Too bad One Life To Live didn't win; that's a good show as well.

Writing: Guiding Light! I'm extremely happy but also surprised. I don't know if GL has won in this category before, and I think The Young and the Restless had the best chance of winning. But low and behold, my show won. How awesome! There have been plenty of new aspects lately that not all viewers have liked or appreciated (the special Wednesday episodes and Josh dating Cassie), but the experimenting has prevailed. Yay Guiding Light!

Drama Series: For the first time EVER, a tie - Guiding Light and The Young and the Restless. I was so psyched when Rachel Ray said, "It's a tie." And GL was announced first. It was a wonderful moment for GL fans everywhere. I cried and was ecstatic the rest of the night. Nothing could have made me happier; it totally makes up for Ricky Paull Goldin's loss. GL is celebrating 70 years this year, and this is quite a way to celebrate. I knew I'd see it win one of these years because it has definitely improved since 2003. Hurray for Guiding Light! While I'm shocked that there was a tie, I'm not surprised that Young and Restless was the second winner. Out of the four nominees that was the one expected to win.

And there you have it.

Congratulations to all the winners and nominees!

No comments:

Post a Comment